21.2.08

The Klaxons and Rihanna Live at the Brits

I was planning on trying not to post about big mainstream music events. It seems silly everyone in the blogosphere (I promise to never use that word again here) posting about the same things all the time. It’s always good to break your self-imposed rules however, even if it is in the first proper post. And thus, I present, The Klaxons and Rihanna Live at the Brits.



I've posted this because I like both Rihanna and The Klaxons. When I was younger I went through stages (didn't we all) of being fiercely loyal to the genre of music I was listening to at the time. This was normally rock music of some description. Any other type of music, especially, god-forbid, pop music was considered artistically redundant toss aimed at the hard-of-thinking. Now that I’ve grown up a bit and I'm not searching for some kind of identity in opposition to others I’m much more free and easy in what music I listen to.

This also may be down to factors other than just growing older. These days genre cross-pollination seems to be much more prevalent. Bands and DJs and listeners move between rock, grime, electro, pop, world and anything else you care to mention without a care in the world. The music available is much richer because of this. This idea, along with hundreds of other interesting developments in the world of music is covered in Paul Morley's wonderful book Words and Music: A History of Pop in the Shape of a City which I fully recommend.

The performance was the first time The Klaxons met Rihanna, they explained to Radio 1:

“It’s been a bit of a funny one because obviously she’s in America and they’ve got this funny idea of what our band sounds like.
We've done three of four different versions of the track. I think we have found something we're both happy with. It's good!”


No comments: